Re: bug #10643 is archived and still open

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 03:56:04PM +1000, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 07:55:41PM -0500, Graham Wilson wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 10:29:58AM +1000, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
> >>I would like to close bug #10643 which is archived. Is there any way
> >>to get it back from the archive to close it?
> >
> >How can an opened bug be archived?
>
> Colin Watson said the closing message was lost when the bug report was
> restored from a backup.
>
> It isn't just a bug in that situation. There are 68 bugs archived
> without being closed. See [0] or [1].

Yes. The situation I'm referring to is that, once upon a time, we didn't
archive bugs when they expired; we just deleted them. Somewhere in the
#30000-odd range, I think, the BTS administrators of the time introduced
archiving. However, all bugs that expired before that time were lost.

At some point, a couple of people showed up with mirrors of the bug
tracking system web pages, and Joey Hess (possibly others?) worked to
recover old bug data from that. Obviously, old bugs like these are all
considered as archived. However, there were a number of cases where the
mirror was taken before the closing message arrived, and in those cases
the data importer left the bugs open.

There isn't an awful lot we can do about this, beyond marking them all
unilaterally as done (which is honest in one way, but dishonest in
another - after all, we don't know why they were closed). Fortunately,
it isn't very important.

> [1] http://tinyurl.com/2ryrc

I don't think there's any need to use shortened URLs on this mailing
list, but when doing so I'd consider it polite to say where they
redirect to.

Cheers,