Re: tg3 driver works without the firmware

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 02:24:02AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Herbert Xu wrote:

> >> I'm not entirely sure, but my guess is tg3_ioctl.  It appears to read and
> >> write arbitrary regs.
> >
> > In my copy it only does MII stuff.  Where does it let you do arbitrary
> > register reads/writes?
> I'm probably wrong. :shrug:

I'm guessing a bit but:

The code Ben is referring to is probably not in tg3_ioctl, but in the
caller of tg3_ioctl.  Look at dev_ethtool in net/core/ethtool.c.  I
don't see how the generic ethtool interface lets you load firmware,
though, and it isn't connected to the existing tg3 firmware code.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz