Re: Two postinsts that generate the same file - who owns it?

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 07:53:35AM -0400, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> Hi all,
> The main questions: Since it is not possible to determine which postinst
> has generated the preprocessed data file, who "owns" it?  That is, when
> should it be uninstalled: When either of {program package, data package}
> are removed?  Only when the data package is removed?  Only when _both_
> are removed?  Should it stay on the system forever [I hope not!]?

If the processed datafile is used only by the program package, it belongs to
the program package, not to the data package.

> As a side question, where should the preprocessed data go --
> /usr/share/<program-package>/ or /var/lib/<program-package>?

/var/lib/<program-package>

If there is some tradition about having it under /usr/share you can
place a symlink there, also belonging to the program package.

Something similar is used by some ispell dictionaries (e.g. ipolish),
allowing fine tuning of the hash contents building it from the postinst.
That results in a new hash being built either at a new package install
or at an ispell upstream version change. The new hash is owned by the
dictionary package, not by ispell, and located at /var/lib/ispell
(with a symlink from /usr/lib/ispell in this case)

Cheers,

--
Agustin