Re: Purge of firmware to recommence

Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> Joey Hess wrote:
>>Herbert Xu wrote:
>>> In accordance with the latest directive from the RM, I shall recommence
>>> the removal of non-free firmware where no acceptable solution using
>>> user-space firmware loaders has been provided.
>>
>>Is anyone planning on doing work on writing patches to use the request
>>firmware stuff to move the firmware to userspace?
>
> Yes.  I have two drivers done (and one of them definitely works), and I
> will start on 'tg3' this week.
Update: I have tg3 compiling.  Since I can't actually test it, if anyone
else would like to, email me and I'll send you the patches.

I think I will take a short break from converting new drivers while I try to
get the radeon, r128, and tg3 conversions integrated into someone's tree
somewhere or other.  :-)  The conversions really are not that hard; feel
free to email me if you want copies of the conversions I've already done
(as reference), or advice on the 'gotchas' (there aren't many).