Re: please release sarge instead of removing binary firmware

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:08:35PM -0400, Allan Wind wrote:
> They were subsequently removed from new versions but the drivers remain
> in old versions.
>
> This either leaves end-users standed on old versions or forced to use
> upstream code.  Is this really the rhgt message for end-users?

Eh?

The right thing to do is to fix the drivers so they load the firmware
from userspace so that the GPL is clearly not violated, using the existing
API to manage that. This can be done for most drivers after the system's
booted, and for most other drivers from the initrd.

The right message to send to our end-users is that we care about doing the
right thing by upstream authors -- namely take their licenses seriously,
and do what we can to follow them -- and that we care about doing the
right thing by our users -- by using our skills as l33t hax0rs to modify
the free software we distribute so that it meets both our users' needs,
and upstreams' licenses.

Are we hackers or debaters?

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.

Protect Open Source in Australia from over-reaching changes to IP law
http://www.petitiononline.com/auftaip/ & http://www.linux.org.au/fta/