Re: apt-listchanges (Re: Advice on how best to handle non-backwards compatibility)

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 07:30:06PM -0500, Graham Wilson wrote:

> Shouldn't concerns that NEWS files are untranslatable be addressed?

Yes, but I don't think that's relevant to the priority issue.  It exists
regardless.

> Also, is it a bad idea to use debconf notes to achieve the same thing as
> the NEWS file? If so, why?

They do differ in capabilities, but I don't think that either is a bad idea.
Debconf notes can be displayed conditionally, for example, while NEWS.Debian
files are easy to read in time series order.  Either could be translated,
though only debconf notes have that capability in the current
implementations.

--
 - mdz