Re: hotplugging /e/n/i "auto" interfaces

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 12:34:16PM +0100, J.D. Hood wrote:
> So far as I can see, it makes no sense.  Interfaces listed after
> the "auto" keyword are brought up by the "ifup -a" command in
> /etc/rcS.d/S40networking.  This provides a way of listing those
> interfaces to be brought up during the boot sequence -- i.e.,
> interfaces which _aren't_ to be left to hotplug or to the admin to
> bring up later.  Typically this list includes lo and the names of
> interfaces that are known to be present at boot time.

I guess it depends on how tightly coupled running 'ifup -a' is to
booting. One can argue that 'auto' means 'gets up'ed by ifup -a when
run' and not 'gets up'ed at boot-time, *because* that's when ifup -a is
run'.

I think it's makes a lot of sense to have the user/admin specify
interfaces which should get treated automatically, i.e. auto. And this
should just work[tm] for the general case, using whatever technology
(hotplug, ifplugd, hal/d-bus, etc) is available to us, without having to
worry about changing e/n/i like 'Oh, I want to have it managed by
hotplug, so it does not need to be auto, although that's what I really
want to have'.

Of course, this would need cooperation from multiple maintainers and
integrating stuff, but hey, that's what Debian is all about, right?

BTW, Robert Love talks about this (among other things) in his blog at
http://primates.ximian.com/~rml/blog/archives/000395.html

Michael

--
Michael Banck