Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

John Hasler wrote:
Erik Steffl writes:

so you're going to call germany deutschland?

Is Deutschland being labeled "Germany" to appease a powerful neighbor
despite the objections of the inhabitants?

  I thought we're not into political disputes.

that could make the list of countries quite incomprehensible for general
public (different alphabets and all that).

Which is no doubt why the Germans, being reasonable people, are willing to
have their nation labeled "Germany".

that's not really up to us to decide (provided we don't want to get into politics). That's why I think it is better to use standard names, even though some of them might be objectionable from certain perspectives. As soon as you start deciding what some people like or not you're deep in smelly matter.

Now if debian decides to make a political statement and call taiwan taiwan I am kinda for it, but let's not pretend that it's not a political statement, that it's neutral.

	erik