Re: Release update

On 07-Apr-04, 02:56 (CDT), Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:
> (This discussion has been going in circles for a while, it seems to me.
> Everybody should take a step back, wait 48h and then start again in a
> new thread, perhaps with a summary of whtat the issues under
> discussions actually are.

And perhaps during that 48 hours, people who care about this will read
http://people.debian.org/~hmh/invokerc.d-policyrc.d-specification.txt,
which provides the framework to solve all these problems without
requiring changes to existing init.d scripts and without inventing new,
half-thought-out "solutions". Both sysvinit and file-rc have implemented
invoke-rc.d, and many (most? all?) packages are using invoke-rc.d in
their maintainer scripts. All that remains is for people to implement
some policy-rc.d scripts to accomplish some common desired policies.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net