Re: (Sarge) Where is module loading controlled?

Hi Svante!

On 2004-04-06  8:15 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> I tried the new Debian installer with the sarge-i386-netinst.iso from
> March 29 on a friends box. Everything went OK, an installation report
> will follow.

Fine!

> Now, I want to replace the OSS audio drivers from the installation to
> ALSA. However, I have a problem with module loading. A lot of modules,
> such as 8139too, agpgart and the oss audio modules are loaded
> automatically and they conflict with the new alsa modules I complied and
> installed.

Well, 8139too is a network driver, agpgart the graphic card AGP
driver, so you should not remove them.

If you compiled a kernel on your own, just switch off the OSS modules
in the configuration. If you don't know how to compile a kernel, then
either learn it (it is worth the effort and not really rocket science)
or as a quick hack, delete the oss modules from
/lib/modules/yourkernelversion/... and execute 'depmod -a' to
regenerate the dependencies.

Anyone get a better idea?

> I cannot find anything in /etc/modules or /etc/modules.conf (except the
> alsa modules). Where is the loading of these modules controlled?

Fellow DD's, this sounds like hotplug?

In the beginning, hotplug was supposed to load modules and do stuff
for USB hotplug devices. Nowadays it automatically loads PCI modules
as well (which IMHO causes a hell of a lot of confusion and unwanted
stuff, also on my own machine), so I suppose that we should search
here. Just try the solution above, if the modules are not present,
anything can load them :-)

Is anybody from the d-i team reading this? Maybe it would make sense
to install ALSA by default anyway?

Have a nice day,

Martin
--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org