locale message catalog confusion

I'm using LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 and I notice some confusion to do with
character encoding.  Gnome stuff generally seem to work OK, but aptitude
is emitting something unreadable which I'm guess is EUC-JP (and of
course since gnome-terminal expects UTF-8, it displays as garbage).

I'm a bit confused about how things are supposed to be working, so I'm
not sure where to report the bug.  In /usr/share/locale/ I just see `ja'
(no encoding specific dirs, though some languages appear to have such),
and individual message catalogs underneath directory seem to be only
present in one encoding -- though which encoding seems to differ based
on the package.

The gnome stuff, e.g.
/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/gnome-terminal.mo seem to all be in
UTF-8 but aptitude is in EUC-JP.

Is the message catalog stuff supposed to cope with this situation, and
recode from the encoding used in the .mo file to the encoding specified
in LANG?  Is this just an aptitude bug, or something more general?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.