Re: The useless "sid" tag

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 06:40:56PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Am I the only one under the impression that the "sid" tag is completely
> useless?

> Unless the testing scripts start to add to all bugs in a packages
> tagged "sid" also a tag "sarge" when a version of this package enters
> testing I don't see much value in the "sid" tag.

Most bugs I've seen tagged "sid" are RC bugs, which means they're
usually fixed before the package propagates to sarge.

There are also RC-severity bugs which are sid-only, caused by package
removals: a package in sid may be uninstallable, whereas in sarge the
needed dependency will not be removed until it's not needed by dependent
packages.  This is a grave bug in sid, but should not affect the
package's eligibility for release (since it isn't a bug at all in
testing).

I have seen way too many reportbug-generated reports being submitted
with the 'sid' tag set, but this doesn't mean the tag isn't useful, just
that it's misused.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer