Re: Split packages providing services

Hi Oliver!

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:13:49PM +0200, Oliver Kurth wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 21:10, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> >  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.general/52773
> I think that is another problem. Splitting of the init script still
> leaves the problem that all MTAs provide a /usr/sbin/sendmail link. I
> think here splitting may make sense, or maybe a scheme similar to
> /etc/alternatives.

In the case of an mta, providing /usr/sbin/sendmail is part of providing
the service, just like having a smtp daemon listen on 0.0.0.0:25
automatically.  In your case I would suggest you have
/usr/sbin/masqmail-sendmail in the masqmail package, a symlink
/usr/sbin/sendmail -> masqmail-sendmail and the init script symlinks
that automatically start and stop the smtp daemon in a masqmail-run
package.  I do similar since three years and am not aware of any
problems.

> If all daemons could be disabled in /etc/init.d/ , it would be possible
> to use other schemes to start up services, eg. runit. or daemontools. If

This already is possible, see the runit-run package.  And here's another
advantage of splitting programs from service:  one could create a
package that provides masqmail-run and conflicts with masqmail-run, and,
instead of using sysv init scripts, uses runit to provide the service.

> If the daemon packages were split into two, it wouldn't be easy to 'just
> switch that service on/off', because I would have to install/reinstall

Sure it is, it's as easy as it is currently.

> the package that provides the init script. Sometimes I want to start a
> web server on my notebook, so others can download files, but I do not
> want that runnung all the time.

The package containing the programs can additionally include a script
that runs a service, and it could be /etc/init.d/yourservice if you
like.  The symlinks used by sysvinit then are installed by the *-run
package, which also provides ``httpd''.

Greetings, Gerrit.
--
Open projects at http://smarden.org/pape/.