Re: testing and no release schedule
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: testing and no release schedule
- From: Adrian Bunk <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 02:30:42 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20040402003041.GG7694@fs.tum.de>
- Mail-followup-to: Adrian Bunk <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20040329061418.GA4003@astro.home>
- References: <20040326200710.GA6704@galactic.demon.co.uk> <20040326210245.GB23780@moregruel.net> <20040326215037.GR23358@flounder.net> <20040326232159.GA24629@moregruel.net> <20040326234408.GV23358@flounder.net> <20040329002543.GP9248@cheney.cx> <20040329061418.GA4003@astro.home>
On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 04:14:18PM +1000, Vince wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 06:25:43PM -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:
> > Personally I have been unable to install Debian stable, using b-f, on
> > my last ~ 6 systems.
> I've seen you say this a couple of times, without mentioning what
> hardware this was.
> For what it's worth, I bought a Celeron 2.4GHz system a couple of weeks
> ago, and managed to install woody on it (from CD). I did have a problem
> whereby the 2.4 kernel on there just couldn't detect my CD drive and
> thus wouldn't offer it as an install source. I couldn't figure out why
> this was so, and just ended up installing the 2.2 kernel to get base
> I agree it wasn't trouble-free, but it's ironic that the problem was the
> 2.4 kernel and not the 2.2 kernel. Having said that, 2.4.25 could
> detect the CD drive.
> Anyway, the important thing is that I'd like to know what hardware this
> is that makes woody uninstallable on systems such as yours. Maybe I'm
> just lucky with my hardware choices and you're unlucky, but it'd be nice
> to know. Perhaps we can make a list of hardware/chipsets unsupported by
I'm wondering which graphics card your Celeron system contains?
My last impression was an "unsupported by woody" would contain every new
graphics card available today, since none is supported in non-VESA modes
by the XFree86 4.1 in stable.
> Vincent Ho
"Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out
of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days.
"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed