Re: The new broken world of 2.6, ALSA, and hotplug.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:52:32PM -0800, Scott Robinson wrote:

> Why not support devfs and traditional style naming simultaneously?

> Other than, of coures, the precious few bytes on a tmpfs and the impurity of
> the wrong naming scheme. ;-)

Because, as someone else mentioned, it pretty much went from "EXPERIMENTAL"
to "OBSOLETE" in one step.  devfs always provided compatibility with the
traditional naming scheme, and so does udev.

I wouldn't object if the maintainer wanted to provide devfs compatibility as
an option, but I would consider any program which _relies_ on the devfs
names to be buggy (I don't know of any).

> Then can we get a Suggests for us "newbie" users? (of which I try to play
> the role of.)

I don't see why not; suggest it to the maintainer (no pun intended).

--
 - mdz