Re: The new broken world of 2.6, ALSA, and hotplug.

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 19:11, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> It's not at all clear to me that the hotplug framework is the right
> way to deal with automatically loading modules at boot time.  We have
> other schemes, such as /etc/modules, which work just as well, if not
> better.  (It's much easier to add modules that you *do* want to load
> at boot time, as opposed to needing to blacklist every single module
> you don't want ---- and in my case, the number of modules that I
> *don't* want to load, for power management reasons, ***far*** exceeds
> the number of modules that I want loaded automatically.)

Please try to think yourself in the shoes of a newbie. You, as a
expert/poweruser can easily override hotplugs behaviour to workaround bugs in
the _kernel_. A newbie will not know how to populate /etc/modules .A user
wont know which module corresponds to his/her foobar-extreme networking card,
It should just work out of box. The alternative is to have the same effect is
to run something incredibly kludgy like kudzu at boot time.

We already have an bug (#240582) to have an option to disable pci hotplugging,
feel free to help finishing the work with it.

And it's not hotplugs fault that various modules cause crash with
powermanagment, or drain battery more than they should. We should really
use more time fixing the problems rather than working them around.

--
hi