Re: The new broken world of 2.6, ALSA, and hotplug.

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 11:11 -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> It's not at all clear to me that the hotplug framework is the right
> way to deal with automatically loading modules at boot time.  We have
> other schemes, such as /etc/modules, which work just as well, if not
> better.  (It's much easier to add modules that you *do* want to load
> at boot time, as opposed to needing to blacklist every single module
> you don't want ---- and in my case, the number of modules that I
> *don't* want to load, for power management reasons, ***far*** exceeds
> the number of modules that I want loaded automatically.)

Isnt this what discover is for? The other problem with this in regards
to discover (which i believe is part of the sarge base system) is that
the order of module loading is different, so for things like network
cards  you get different interfaces depending on whether discover or
hotplug loads the modules. I also get a network driver for my firewire
port loaded even though nothing is plugged in there.

Tom