Re: Release update

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 16.23, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> some common guidelines
> (some packages currently use /etc/defaults/something, some use the
> symlinks in /etc/rc?.d directly, others have something set in
> /etc/init.d/something or use some magic, like checking for a line in
> /etc/inetd.conf).

Please, please, please don't use the /etc/default / way. It's plain
annoying.

Reason: When I have a network service installed, but don't want it to be
run automatically, there is a high probability that I have it installed
because I want to start it manually occasionally. And starting a service
is best done with /etc/init.d/service start, because that saves me from
having to look up how to start that daemon each time.

So with the /etc/default way, we lose that ability.

Better use /etc/rcX.d symlinks properly, and for this, proper support of
tri-state rcX.d directories would help (S symlink, K symlink, no symlink,
meaning 'start service on runlevel', 'stop service in runlevel', and
'manual opreation, don't touch').

Using /etc/default for options on how to start the daemon is ok, I prefer
editing a default script instead of the init.d script. But it should be
possible to start a service with the init.d script even if it's not
started at boot.

(As to having network services being started upon installation: I think
it's ok to start them, since when I install them I probably want to use
them. Better have the focus on not installing them by default unless the
admin/user explicitely specifies them. So, don't install inetd by
default. Don't install NFS by default. Install only a /usr/sbin/sendmail
replacement instead of a smtp daemon by default. etc. etc. In any case,
don't touch the status of a service on upgrade: if it's running, restart
it, if it isn't running, don't start it - independent on it's status at
boot time.)

greetings
-- vbi

--
You will pay for your sins!
If you have already paid, please register with the front desk.