Re: Release update

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:43:10PM +0200, Patrice Fortier wrote:
> I had updates for ssh, portmap and nfs-common last week, and
> each update restarted its service even if I had disabled them
> (update-rc.d -f xxx remove). As a sidenote, I find this _very_
> irritating... I'd like this policy enforced for these scripts
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s10.7.3

This is really a FAQ item, you should not remove all of the items, just the
start links so the status is preserved on upgrades. for more info:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html#s-disableserv

> (1) When updating, you're asked if you want the ssh service
> started. Whatever the answer, it will be started anyway. This is
> a known ssh package bug and it won't be fixed (so I suggest not
> asking the question :)).

Which bug # is this?

> (2) portmap is also started in /etc/rcS.d/S41 to mount network
> partitions in /etc/rcS.d/S45mountnfs.sh. I complained about that
> but I was explained that it was for people with nfs /usr system.
> Maybe we (you :)) could ckeck this case at install time (or
> first boot) to avoid this second Sxxportmap (it's also started
> in /etc/rc2.d/S18portmap) during boot single.

That could be a opened as a bug too. IMHO.

> Do you want me to fill bug reports, and for which...packages (as
> the update problem with /etc/rc?.d/ scripts seems to be general)?

The problem in the rc?.d scripts is not really a problem. It's more like a
feature.

Regards

Javier