Re: Difference between copyright and license

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:39:33AM +0200, Roland Stigge wrote:
> I often see packages containing something like the following in the
> copyright file:
>
> =================================================================================
> Copyright:
>
> This software is distributed under the GNU General Public License,
> which can be found at /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2.
> =================================================================================
>
> Instead, it should rather look like:
>
> =================================================================================
> Copyright:
>
> Copyright 2003, 2004 Heinz Ketchup <heinz@ketchup.tv>
>
> License:
>
> This software is distributed under the GNU General Public License,
> which can be found at /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2.
>
> Thanks for considering.

You're exactly right.

You should consider filing bugs against any packages that do this.  On a
case-by-case basis, at first.  I'm not sure this sort of thing warrants
a mass-filing.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    Yeah, that's what Jesus would do.