testing security (was Re: testing and no release schedule

Patrice Fortier wrote:

> Le ven 26/03/2004 à 21:28, Bruno Barrera C. a écrit :
>
>> Many users think that 'stable' is too old, and they willn't use it, and
>> when you tell they about 'unstable' they got scared (No! That will break
>> my system, no way!). So, many users use other linux distributions.
>
> Note that even sarge could be "stable enough", there is no security
> update for testing. And that's scary too.

Well, there aren't security updates for unstable either.  I always thought
that "best practice" was for maintainers to make new uploads to unstable
when there's a security update, which they do -- but *also* to make
security uploads to testing-proposed-updates.  This doesn't seem to
actually be done very often, unfortunately, even by otherwise very diligent
maintainers.  :-P  I'm not sure why -- maybe testing-proposed-updates
simply isn't well-known or well-understood?  Or maybe it isn't processed
efficiently?

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/