Re: No new packages into Sarge? [was: Re: Release update]

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:02:03PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> On 2004-03-29 15:40 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > It's been a little longer than it should have been since the last one.
> > Sorry. This is a not-terribly-formal update to get some news out despite
> > the members of the release team being somewhat snowed under with other
> > things at the moment.

> Thank you for this announcement. It is good to hear that something is
> done about freezing and all that :-)

> >   * Where possible, avoid new major upstream versions of other packages.
> >     If in any doubt about whether an upgrade is appropriate, contact the
> >     release team.

> Does that include that from a certain point on no new packages are
> allowed to flow into testing? IMHO this would be a good thing.

The policy is intended to avoid disruption of packages already in sarge.
New packages have only a minimal impact on the releasability of the
system, and can easily be removed again if they turn out to be buggy, so
I don't think there's any reason to formally restrict the flow of new
packages into testing until we actually freeze.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer