Re: [adam@flounder.net: Re: testing and no release schedule]

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 08:58:51PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> > However, I'm quite "confused" about those "This is a buildd, please do not
> > use it for manual builds!" motds on some machines. Makes no sense to me.
> Context switches eat into those machines' cache, thus two compile jobs in
> parallel run N times slower than the same compile jobs in sequence.
> Makes perfect sense to me.  ;-)

Tell that to those people compiling something on crest. It's old news that
m68k is performing quite bad unter Linux with "task switching"... heck,
m68ks don't even have L2 Cache at all!
And please, do not complain now about having too less mips machines...

BTW:
The context switch penalty must be a Linux-only thingie... I've never head
problems with overloading Irix machines when doing severe 3D rendering, f.e.
8+ Maya processes on a 4p machine.
So, when there are context switch problems in the kernel, they should be
addressed by some knowdgeable kernel hackers. Same goes for m68k...

Well, maybe we should put a note in crests motd as well:
"Please do not compile something manually when the buildd is running..." -
that would speed up crest as well, wouldn't it? ;)

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/