Re: [RFC] User Accesable Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

On Sunday 28 March 2004 06.17, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mailhot@laPoste.net>

> > 2. at this point you can probably not hide them since they won't result
> > in too much clutter
>
> I'd tend to think that even one name that is not dotted is too much
> clutter. There's a strong unix tradition that *any* name in ~ that
> does not begin with a dot should belong to the user alone.

*strongly agree*

> Perhaps FOO="..."?

I think it should be a real name, giving the user some clue what he might
expect. '.conf' perhaps, but I'm not happy.

> > 3. do not try to keep current dotfiles/dotdirs in your spec but move
> > them to your clean file layout

Perhaps just ignore current dotfiles?

> The /home/shared part of the proposal is at once too general and not
> general enough. Most computers who have more than one user to share
> data between tend to have *many* users, so one would quickly want a
> way to share software between smaller sets of users (I may trust that
> software installed by Tom and Jennifer is not intentionally trojaned,
> but there is no way that I will put into my $PATH a directory where
> Charles from accounting has write rights).

There could be group home direcories, aligned along unix groups. Anything
else, I guess, is pretty much unsolvable, users would just have to massage
their $PATH manually, I guess with a proper configuration tool this should
not be a problem even for novice users.

greetings
-- vbi

--
The content of this message may or may not reflect the opinion of me, my
employer, my girlfriend, my cat or anybody else, regardless of the fact