Re: Problem on mipsel with upgrading libc woody->sarge

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:03:42PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> I'm trying to set up chroots ready for buildds on a mipsel box, and
> I'm having major problems.
>
> Due to limited hardware support in later kernels, I'm running a
> patched 2.4.18 with all the usual security patches applied and the ipc
> msgbuf patch from #200215 applied too. I don't think the patches are
> relevant at the moment - running an older unpatched 2.4.18 shows
> exactly the same symptoms.
>
> I'm setting up a chroot of woody using debootstrap, then chrooting
> inside and doing a sarge upgrade. All goes smoothly until I upgrade
> libc6. From that point onwards, package scripts consistently fail with
> fatal errors. In a freshly-created chroot:

Newer glibc versions on mipsel (and mips as well) unfortunately
require current (as in >=2.4.19 for mipsel IIRC) kernels to work.
With 2.4.18 it is impossible to run sarge or sid.

You have not stated which kind of hardware you use, but from the
kernel version you have I guess it is some Cobalt system. You can use
2.4.24 from the Linux/MIPS CVS (2.4.25 should probably work as well)
plus the Cobalt patches from http://www.colonel-panic.org/.
With these patches and IDE DMA enabled we have found the kernel to
work quite stable on a Qube2.

HTH,
Karsten
--