Problem on mipsel with upgrading libc woody->sarge

I'm trying to set up chroots ready for buildds on a mipsel box, and
I'm having major problems.

Due to limited hardware support in later kernels, I'm running a
patched 2.4.18 with all the usual security patches applied and the ipc
msgbuf patch from #200215 applied too. I don't think the patches are
relevant at the moment - running an older unpatched 2.4.18 shows
exactly the same symptoms.

I'm setting up a chroot of woody using debootstrap, then chrooting
inside and doing a sarge upgrade. All goes smoothly until I upgrade
libc6. From that point onwards, package scripts consistently fail with
fatal errors. In a freshly-created chroot:

pin:/# apt-get install libc6
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
  libdb1-compat
  libdb1-compat
1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 87  not upgraded.
Need to get 4130kB of archives. After unpacking 422kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://mirror sarge/main libdb1-compat 2.1.3-7 [34.2kB]
Get:2 http://mirror sarge/main libc6 2.3.2.ds1-11 [4096kB]
Fetched 4130kB in 0s (5614kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package libdb1-compat.
(Reading database ... 5851 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libdb1-compat (from .../libdb1-compat_2.1.3-7_mipsel.deb) ...
Replacing files in old package libc6 ...
Preparing to replace libc6 2.2.5-11.5 (using .../libc6_2.3.2.ds1-11_mipsel.deb) ...

Name Service Switch has changed in the C Library: pre-installation question.

Running programs may not be able to do NSS lookups until they are restarted.
Some services can not accept all authentication after extracting glibc
package into your system.  This script automatically restarts some packages
for example ssh or telnetd, but other packages for example xdm
cannot restart because if it restarts automatically, then your X11 session
is disconnected.  So you have to logout and stop xdm; you have to
restart all such services after upgrading glibc with your hands.
Known packages that are needed to stop before installing glibc 2.3:
        xdm kdm gdm postgresql xscreensaver

This script does not detect services which need to stop.
If you want to stop upgrade for the present, please answer the below
question as No.

Do you want to upgrade glibc? [Y/n] y

Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 32
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-11_mipsel.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 32
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 255
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2.ds1-11_mipsel.deb

Trying to track the problem down here, I can't get strace to help
(dpkg seems to do immoral stuff that stops ptrace attaching). Even
modifying the existing libc6 postrm to just exit 0 does not help - I
still get the same error. I see the same problem when I try to create
a sid chroot, which suggests a bug in glibc or kernel or maybe both. I
though that it might be an issue with perl/debconf (hence the #200215
fix above), but of course libc6 does not use debconf or perl.

I'm running out of ideas now - help!

Is there anybody out there?