Re: Three letter language codes for package names?

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> writes:
> While I understand that -uk is the correct name here, we shouldn't require
> users to be familiar with the distinction between ISO cc's, ISO language
> codes, and ICANN TLDs.

Ukrainians aren't having a problem here, and the confused British can look
at the package name. RFC3066 specifies that we must use the two letter name;
even ignoring the RFC, the rest of the world uses the two letter name, so
people will recognize the two letter name. Furthermore, there's a problem
with the three letter names, as saith the RFC:

   3. When a language has no ISO 639-1 2-character code, and the ISO
      639-2/T (Terminology) code and the ISO 639-2/B (Bibliographic)
      code differ, you MUST use the Terminology code.  NOTE: At present,
      all languages for which there is a difference have 2-character
      codes, and the displeasure of developers about the existence of 2
      code sets has been adequately communicated to ISO.  So this
      situation will hopefully not arise.

I really think that when GNOME and KDE and Mozilla and glibc and the rest
of Un*x is using the two letter codes, that we'll just add to the confusion
trying to go to three letter codes.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm