Re: If it's that easy! :-) (Novell and YaST vs. Debian)

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 05:02:00PM +0100, Martin Albert wrote:

> > Why ... is there any good for avoiding Yast in debian?
> > First, I think, there are some people using debian, which want to use
> > yast for configuring their systems. In my opinion, webmin is not a
> > really alternative as configuration utility at all.
> >
> > In my opinion, yast should included as configuration utility, but as
> > installer for the whole system.
>
> Wow, there must be two programs under the same name out there.
>
> Giving courses to people that had about 2-3 month of experience with the
> system that i know yast of, i started with "Install and config a
> webserver to serve your $HOME/public_html dir". Installing Debian
> _while_ saying this, i then typed "apt-get install apache" and had a
> coffee break. Returning, 1 system out of 25 had it done. After 3 months
> the final exam "client/server w. eth-bridge and samba (and lots more)"
> was carried out 100% Debian, except some clients (better kde@that_time).
>
> Discussing yast and 'improving user experience' in parallel threads
> seems contradictory to me, but then, as you wrote, you don't have to
> use it. I mean, i'm not objecting ITP, in case it is found to be of use
> for anything except getting #1000000 out.

Au contraire.  YaST and 'improving user experience' are definitely
parallel; they do not meet at any point, neither in past, present, or
future... =)

[snip]

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //