Re: If it's that easy! :-) (Novell and YaST vs. Debian)

> Why ... is there any good for avoiding Yast in debian?
> First, I think, there are some people using debian, which want to use
> yast for configuring their systems. In my opinion, webmin is not a
> really alternative as configuration utility at all.
>
> In my opinion, yast should included as configuration utility, but as
> installer for the whole system.

Wow, there must be two programs under the same name out there.

Giving courses to people that had about 2-3 month of experience with the
system that i know yast of, i started with "Install and config a
webserver to serve your $HOME/public_html dir". Installing Debian
_while_ saying this, i then typed "apt-get install apache" and had a
coffee break. Returning, 1 system out of 25 had it done. After 3 months
the final exam "client/server w. eth-bridge and samba (and lots more)"
was carried out 100% Debian, except some clients (better kde@that_time).

Discussing yast and 'improving user experience' in parallel threads
seems contradictory to me, but then, as you wrote, you don't have to
use it. I mean, i'm not objecting ITP, in case it is found to be of use
for anything except getting #1000000 out.

Have a nice day, martin
(wading through webmin, that does not correctly offer existing configs;)