Re: run debian off usb flash drive

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:18:52 +0000 (GMT)
Neil Kelly <nkelly999@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm playing around with this (starting with the
> non-debian flashpuppy PuppyLinux). This claim that the
> usb flash memory "breaks" - is this a technical
> observation or a cynical one? I noticed that the
> supplier of my card (www.kingston.com) offers a "Life
> Time Warranty" on it. resellers on ebay are offering
> five year warranty, I expect the technology to be
> superceded before then!

Well, that's the rub. The manufacturers expect people to have bought new
devices well before the flash memory burns out. And yes, it does
actually "burn out" after a given number of erases/writes. It's not as
relevant on something like an mp3 player, which has a relatively small
number of writes in regular usage. Even a standard USB keychain flash
device has far fewer writes than the stuff that's been discussed in this
thread.

When you're talking about running a full modern OS off the flash device,
it does become a real issue.

	   After a while, you realise the pig is enjoying it.