Re: i2c and lm-sensors mess (update + RFC)

Aurelien Jarno wrote:

> Hi all !
>
> This mail is a bit long, if you don't have a lot of time, jump directly
> to the end.
>
> Some progress on the lm-sensors problem.
>
>> 3) Ask for removal of old packages:
>>    i2c-2.4.20-3-386, i2c-2.4.20-3-586tsc, i2c-2.4.20-3-686,
>>    i2c-2.4.20-3-686-smp, i2c-2.4.20-3-k6, i2c-2.4.20-3-k7,
>>    i2c-2.4.20-3-k7-smp
> I have filed a bug for that, I am waiting for the removal.
>
>> 4) File bugs to get all applications linked to libsensors2 to be rebuilt
>>    against latest version of lm-sensors, so they will depends on
>>    libsensors3:
>>     * xsensors
Maintainer seems to be out to lunch here.

>>     * wmsensors
wmsensors was NMUed with maintainer approval :-)

>>     * wmgtemp
No idea of the status here, no maintainer comment.

>>     * mrtgutils
>>     * ksensors
You did these two, I guess

>>     * hardware-monitor
Maintainer is working on this

>>     * kdebase ??? (reenable support of sensors in ksysguard)
This is supposedly in progress.
> I filled bugs against these applications, new version of ksensors and
> mrtgutils have been uploaded.
>
> Still to be done:
>> 5) Ask for removal of libsensors2 from Sid
>>
>> 6) When all packages have moved to Sarge, ask for removal of libsensors1
>

> Now, let's go back on the problem and the solution. The problem is that
> lm-sensors/i2c >= 2.8.0 are uncompatible with kernel 2.4. That's why
> there is currently three source packages in Sid (and soon in Sarge):
> - i2c version 2.7.0, which provides i2c prebuilt modules and i2c-source
> - lm-sensors-old version 2.7.0, which provides prebuilt modules and
>   lm-sensors-source
> - lm-sensors version 2.8.5, which provides a library and some userspaces
>   tools.
>
> Basically everything works, however a lot of users are complaining that
> they sensors are not supported by version 2.7.0 and ask me to switch
> back to a version >= 2.8.0. It couldn't be done, because it will causes
> kernel oops for people that are using prebuilt kernels or self-built
> kernel with some drivers that uses i2c.
Frankly, I think you should just tell them all to use kernel 2.6.x.  It's
stable now!

> I am also not very satisfied to have packages that are outdated (more
> than one year) in Sarge, a distribution which would probably be the
> stable version in two years... Old packages also means that fixes are
> difficult to backport.
Don't fix 'em.

> If you don't have a lot of time, start to read here
>
> So here is my proposition to make the users happy:
> - Keep version 2.7.0 of i2c and lm-sensors for prebuilt modules only
> - Drop lm-sensors-source and i2c-source and instead provide patches in
>   Debian packages of version 2.8.5 against Debian kernels.
This is plausible.  But I don't personally care ;-) given that I think that
anyone who cares should use kernel 2.6.

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/