Re: Plan of stardict

在 四, 2004-03-11 15:53, D. Starner 寫道:
> Assuming you're committed to stardict, a data-centric approach
> is still called for here. There are more than 75 MB of dict-* packages
> in Debian. I find it very inappropriate to duplicate all that data
> in a different format on every mirror and CD and some hard drives.
> If you want to use that data in stardict, why don't you patch stardict
> to support the formats used? New indexes could be built if necessary,
> but the core data is way, way too large to duplicate like this.

Dear David and Andreas,

I also don't want occupied too much space in every mirror. While
I have maintain the Hong Kong Debian mirrors (ftp.hk.debian.org)
for years, I'm often worry about the increase rate of debian.

Indeed, my original aim is make the stardict be usable ASAP while
Anthony Fok (original maintainer of stardict) had received too
much complain of the non-updating.

Btw, After David and Andreas mail, I had mail once more to the
author of stardict about the issue. But still got no reply yet.

In these few days, I decide not to wait and try to replace the
stardict format wordnet dictionary with Andreas's DICT format
one. (Keep the stardict index file) It seem the stardict can
handle the DICT format (at least for the few words
I had test) I had also RTFS. What I know that is the if DICT
format dictionary is well formatted (no duplicate definition
on the same words), the stardict should handle it without any
problem.

Now, I suppose I will change the plan to modify the conversion
tools and make it got an option that produce index file for
the original DICT format dictionary only. (Indeed, I had
modify some during modify the wordnet packages) I suppose
I can finish before this weekend.

Anthony Fok had already help me to upload the stardict_2.4.3-1
packages (without any dictionary) but I had ask him to
delay the uploading of stardict wordnet dictionary until
I finish the repackaging again.

So, now the dictionary need 3 packages!? One for the
original DICT format dictionary, one for the DICT
index, one for the Stardict index. I'm thinking how to
name them now.

regards,

Roy Chan