dpkg-statoverride: Do I need a cluebat?

Hi,

I'm just plaguing myself with dpkg-statoverride, and I have one
fundamental question: Do I have a silly problem and need a cluebat, or
is dpkg-statoverride broken by design?

What I want to do: I have a package that had different stati for one
directory via dpkg-statoverride. So, I need to force some setting
under special conditions. However, I don't want to override
sysadmins settings.

What I don't understand is, why there are not two levels of
dpkg-statoverride, one for the maintainer and one for the admin.
Furthermore, dpkg-statoverride could even read the maintainer
information from package.statoverride. This would have the advantage
that there is no need to use constructs like:
      if ! dpkg-statoverride --list /usr/lib/games/nethack/recover >/dev/null
      then
        dpkg-statoverride --add root games 2755 /usr/lib/games/nethack/recover
      fi
but just to put the file in the right place, call a
dpkg-statoverride --update nethack
and I'm done. Local admins changes would have automatic precedence,
but I wouldn't need to care about them (nor about changes of my stati)
at all.

Well, why is this not done? Can someone hit me with the cluebat?

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/