Re: Screw non-free.

Humberto Massa wrote:
Evan Prodromou wrote:

Anyways, my stupid opinion on the subject is this: the time when non-free was necessary to have a working GNU/Linux system is long past. We don't have to make a deal with that devil any more.

except, of course, if we want the big java things to work 100% ?!

Then "you" [0] should want to help the free runtimes reach that 100%, by writing whatever is missing, testing, posting useful bug reports, writing documentation, you know the drill ;)

Seriously, if you want java applications to work on debian, why don't you join the Kaffe [1], gcj [2], or SableVM [3] developers to help "us" [4] make those big java things work 100% ? It's not so hard, and we're a friendly bunch to new contributors [5].

You'll find developers from all those runtimes on #kaffe on irc.freenode.org [6] if you have particular needs that you want to discuss.

cheers,
dalibor topic,

[0] The people who want that
[1] http://www.kaffe.org
[2] http://gcc.gnu.org
[3] http://www.sablevm.org
[4] People trying to make people from [0] happy on a free as in DFSG platform. [5] Conditions Apply: all these efforts are clean-room efforts. That means no reading Sun's sources, no decompiling their classes, no NDAs preventing zou from contribution. Additional conditions may apply, depending on the project :)
[6] When they are actually online, of course.