Re: A sensible plan for non-free

Option B.

Just remember that the idea is for online distribution to mimic current 3rd
party CD distribution. With 3rd party CDs we just provide a list of places
that you can order the CDs from. It is up to those vendors to make licensing
arrangements for non-free and it is up to them to determine how much they
charge for the CDs. We will now encourage a similar arrangement for
distributing non-free on-line.

This new category of on-line 3rd party distributors will provide users with an
apt-get source that provides transfers under whatever policies they prefer. A
school might act as a distributor to its students, a company to its employees
or a for-profit distributor to its subscribers. In any case, Debian itself
will not provide an anonymous transfer service to the general public for
non-free software.

The benefit is that we insure that "supported" non-free software is maintained
under our close supervision without actually distributing it ourselves. We do
not end up establishing some new organization that has an unclear
relationship to Debian. We mostly go on as we always have, except that we no
longer distribute non-free on-line to end users.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
Brainfood, Inc.