Re: Screw non-free.

On Thursday 11 March 2004 22:43, Bruce Perens wrote:
> It was Donnie Barnes. You wrote something to me about Red Hat not having
> a social contract. But there was also a conversation I was having at
> about the same time with Eric Andersen, regarding what belonged in
> Debian and what did not. And to resolve that, I wrote the first draft of
> the Debian Social Contract and DFSG.

I remember talking to Donnie as well but I'm sure that the conversation
started with Bob Young. I'm sure of that because I nearly pooped my pants
when the CEO of Red Hat called the GPL the "kiss of death". I think Bob
begged off to talk to other more important (likely to spend money) types and
left Donnie to talk with us "community types" since that was his area of
expertise.

> Uh, why don't we just split the project into a free and non-free part,
> and let the two projects make their own policies. We can do this without
> getting people all inflamed by making reactionary speeches before it
> happens. That's just going to make the transition more difficult. This
> is simply a matter of "we've grown up now and this is the right thing to
> do".

I'm a little dubious of the two projects approach because of the logistical
headaches. Take a look at the "sensible plan for non-free" post I put up and
tell me if you think that makes any sense.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
Brainfood, Inc.