Re: debconf, controlling terminal, and calling dialog "manually" from postinst

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
> > The reason is #232725. We were calling a program in postinst - after
> > using debconf and without calling db_stop - that wanted to display its
> > error messages via dialog, but the dialog never was shown, so Ctrl-c was
> > the only way out. I've fixed it (in CVS) by simply not calling that
> > program, but I would like to understand.
>
> I would recommend against using such a program (unmodified) in a maintainer
> script.  A tty may not even be available for running dialog, and interactive
> programs tend to misbehave in that situation.

Yeah, I quite often install packages in an emacs shell buffer, where
there is a `tty', but it isn't likely to display a dialog box very well.

Anything that actually _requires_ a terminal at installation time, is
broken.

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!