Re: A freak (but not so freak) idea: User space apt-get install

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 23:50, Number Six wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 March 2004 12:38 pm, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> > > What do you think?
> > ``dpkg --root=`pwd` --force-non-root -i *.deb''
>
> In what ways is this different from "dpkg -x foo.deb ." ?
> As non-root, one would think no package state is modified.

First, thanks for the idea. Just doesn't help with build-depends.

Everybody knows, would be silly wo. the 2nd part: man dpkg-deb -x
Note  that  extracting a package to the root directory will not result
in a correct installation !  Use dpkg to install packages.

Better: apt-get to test proper installation under real conditions.

[zzzap]

> Take a look at dpkg(8), apt.conf(5) and
> /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz

> .. look at dpkg's options for --force-not-root and --root

Does it work again? It didn't, to my roots content, last times i tried.

> Once you've set things up, write a HOWTO here and on Debian User. ;-)
It's all configs, still ;)
If it works, it's so easy with Debian! (see me smile!)
In the end build, install and run from source repo in and into chroots.
ReadOnly as possible and wipe out / reboot after session or
keep dynamically, with eg. dpkg-reconfigure deb-chroots.

Have that on developers@home and eg. dd-test-sparc.d.o
Have a nice day, martin

--
Vote for Freedom - vote for debian/dists/non-free.
Vote for justice - vote for The Social Contract.