Re: [custom] Custom Debian Distros need the help from debian developers

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:45:12AM +0100, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> Andreas,  I've read again your paper  and I've just  noticed that your
> are referencing #186085 (maybe the first time I was too tired, or it's
> newly added).

I don't really think this is particularly important.

The way I see it, CDDs have two major problems: custom package
selection and custom package configuration. This thread has already
talked about custom package configuration in regards to pre-seeding low
priority (or even unasked) debconf questions. IMHO, custom package
selection (the problem that #186085 seems to be addressing) is an
easier and less pressing problem.

Basically, if we're going to pre-seed debconf databases, we're going to
be using a (slightly) tweaked installer. If we're going be tweaking
the installer, as part of a full CD or not, we might as well feed the
custom package the package selection!

Clicking on that item in tasksel is not only not going to be what I
think is the major way people will install CDDs (or at least
Debian-NP). More importantly it will not let get us any closer to do
the custom configuration issues that are really the bulk of the work
we're doing unless we rethink taskel.

> Would a general, CDD independent, framework for automatically
> creating such ISO/DVD images make sense?

Sure. I think it's a nice idea. Of course, automatically creating the
CDs is going to have to come after we have a fully documented
non-automatic framework that is some-what consistently adopted. :) We
are still a good deal away from this. :)

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill