Re: run debian off usb flash drive

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 03:25:08PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 13:30, Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> wrote:
> > Most of the flash parts are rated for 100K erase cycles per 128KiB
> > block (StrataFlash).  Cheap hard drives are usualy waranteed for only
> > one year.  Assuming the best case for flash, and worst case for a hard
> > drive, the flash device can take about 250 block erase cycles/day in a
> > year of continuous use.  The wear-leveling flash filesystems will
>
> 250 erases per day on a single is not a likely amount of load for a laptop
> provided that there is plenty of spare space.

Single...what?  I suppose I wasn't clear in that this is 250 block
erases for a given block.  If the erase block is 128 KiB and you have
only one free block (heaven forbid) that would require writing 32 MiB
of data every day for a year before that block was unable to accept
another write.

Even if there is no wear-leveling, this could be OK as long as you
didn't plan to keep the flash device more than a year.

Cheers.