Re: Mozilla Firefox's icon and trademark

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 03:02:30PM +0100, Rico -mc- Gloeckner wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 06:25:45PM -0500, Eric Dorland wrote:
> >                            Unfortunately it seems these icons and even
> > the name "Firefox" (and Mozilla even) are trademarked and can't be
> > used except with the official builds or permission of the Mozilla
> > Foundation (see http://mozilla.org/foundation/licensing.html and
> > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=50876).
>
> IANAL+IMVHO the point is:
>
>  - you use the original codebase from firefox to build the firefox
>    browser:  you are entitled to use icons and name.
>  - you use the original codebase and change it and/or use the codebase
>    in another application: this clearly is not the codebase for firefox
>    anymore and you are not entitled to use icons and name.

Well, what amount of change would you consider neccessary to change the
name and icon of that package? Integration into the debian menu system,
changing the install location of some files to fit the fhs, fixing
(security) bugs, customizing bookmarks etc.? It's hard to draw a line
here; and to be on the safe side you should use an own name and own
icons. But IANAL+IMVH applies to me as well.

> After all, i'd prefer debian talking to the mozilla people before acting
> up and/or announcing that mozilla will be dropped off debian.

Yes this should definitely be done so that other free distributions
could use a common free name and iconset for firefox.

    Ingo
--
Disclaimer: This signature might contain 3rd party intellectual
            property or patented technology.  Please make sure