custom (2.6) kernel for d-i

I'd like to install on a new box that has only an SATA drive (VIA
chipset). I understand that the VIA chipset is supported in the 2.6
kernel but it isn't in the 2.4 kernel.

I could dig up an IDE drive and install to it, compile a kernel, and
copy things over. But I'd like to try getting d-i to work with a custom
kernel. Or using debootsrap would be fine to. Teemu Ikonen had this
question back in November[1] but I don't see the resolution in the
archives. Joey mentioned in that exchange that a HOWTO would be welcome
and that it's possible. I'm willing to write that HOWTO if I can figure
out how to do it in a reasonable amount of time, and to do that I need
the help of those who have done it already.

Thanks.

1. http://groups.google.com/groups?q=debian+installer+custom+kernel&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=U3UH.2L7.13%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=2