Re: P4 optimized Debian GNU/Linux?

>It's been discussed before, but I never bothered to look into that,
>since I didn't think I cared :)
>
>Now, a friend of mine took the time to (more or less) manually recompile/
>repackage/reinstall his Debian GNU/Linux woody box.
>
>His word was "it WAY faster!". No numbers, just those three words. Got'a
>mean something...
>
>If I remember correctly from the last time I saw this subject come up,
>the resolution was "no, we don't want that". I can't remember why, but
>I don't care (unless it's changed :).
We concluded that it makes little difference -- for *most* packages.

And that the correct thing to do was to figure out which packages cared, and
make custom optimized versions of *them*.

Start with an optimized kernel, which you can do pretty easily.  Then switch
to libc6-i686.

Looking at 'top', it seems to me that XFree86 and artsd are the two biggest
CPU hogs on my machine....mebbe I'll look into optimized compiles of those.