[custom] Custom Debian Distros need the help from debian developers

yep,

I've read this long thread and some points come to mind :

1- Non-interactive installation :

as said before [DEBCONF-LEVEL], there is two configuration levels :
 - end-user level, that should install really non-interactively ;
 - power-user level, that let the installer tweak the config, still beeing
compatible with the end-user case ;

debconf frontend is a tool of choice for acheveing that.
 - For a end-user, debconf configuration should be :
	* debconf/priority: medium
	* debconf/frontend: Noninteractive
- For a power-user :
	* debconf/priority: low
	* debconf/frontend: Dialog

that's the debian way, IMHO.

The "Noninteractive" frontend just keep default values for all registered
templates.

2- debconf pre-seeding
( isn't that "pre-feeding" ? i'm not a native english speaker, but , AFAICS,
pre-feeding seems to better match the concept )

The point now is feeding debconf with coherent default values that _will_ be
different from stock Debian releases.
As said before [DEBIAN-STOCK], trying to change default values from
stock-Debian packages can be a waste of time.

A "Custom Debian Distro" has to, errr..., customize its distribution ! that is
making its own packages.

An easy way may be using dbs [DBS] to maintain a BSD-like port system.
I use it every day to maintain my own custom debian [PRAKSYS]. ( forget my
gory scripts, but watch the idea ;)... i still have a lot of cleanups to do )

this way, a CDD can have its own debconf tree from where each customized
package can take relevant config.
e.g. :
CDD/host/name
CDD/network/lan/fqdn
CDD/network/lan/interface
CDD/network/lan/netmask
CDD/network/lan/gateway
CDD/network/ipsec/fqdn
CDD/network/ipsec/interface
CDD/network/ipsec/netmask
CDD/network/ipsec/gateway
... and so on...

3- another point, is beeing able to have a remote debconf database (for
network-wide configurations) and a local one (for, err..., local
configurations).
for the previous example, CDD/network hierarchy can be stored on the
network-server, while CDD/host is host-specific...

cheers,
guillaume pernot

[DEBCONF-LEVEL]
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/debian-devel-200402/msg00911.html