Re: udev uploaded to experimental

Hi Marco and all others!

On 2004-02-22 13:43 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> A new udev package is available at http://www.bofh.it/~md/debian/ and
> has been uploaded to experimental (it's currently waiting in NEW).

I already took a look at earlier versions, the current one seems to
work pretty well already. Good job, Marco!

The first broken thing I noticed is that no nvidia nodes (for the
proprietary driver) are created. Devfs (and probably also MAKEDEV)
uses

crw-rw----    1 root     video    195,   0 2004-02-24 12:06 nvidia0
crw-rw----    1 root     video    195,   1 2004-02-24 12:06 nvidia1
crw-rw----    1 root     video    195,   2 2004-02-24 12:06 nvidia2
crw-rw----    1 root     video    195,   3 2004-02-24 12:06 nvidia3
crw-rw----    1 root     video    195, 255 2004-02-24 12:06 nvidiactl

This is not really your fault since the current nvidia module does not
create entries in /sys. So this must be done manually. Of course I
could do that myself, but since it may affect quite a lot of people,
would it be possible to check for a loaded module 'nvidia' and create
above devices in the udev package? The only problem with this is that
/etc/modules is evaluated not until S20module-init-tools (thus, later
than your S01udev); so where would be an appropriate place?

Another problem is that plugging in my USB memory stick does not cause
the creation of a device node in /udev (I changed the path to /udev to
allow comparing against devfs in /dev), but an appropriate
/dev/disc1/... is created in /dev (with devfs). I have the hotplug
package installed and my kernel is hotplug enabled. Do I something
wrong here?

Thanks for your work and for suggestions!

Martin

P.S. You should fix the copyright file; it does not contain an actual
copyright holder and not the standard LGPL stanza.

--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org