Re: What package is responsible for rotating kern.log, debug, syslog?

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:54:36AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> I discovered that on my system these weren't rotated (!) by default.
> Should the kernel package be doing this?  Logrotate?  Syslog?....

I discovered exactly the same problem on one of my machines the other
day. In my case none of these files had been rotated for months, i'm
glad it's not a busy machine...

The reason this happened, for me, was because I replaced sysklogd with
inetutils-syslogd. The sysklogd package has cron.weekly and cron.daily
scripts which do all the log rotation whereas the inetutils-syslogd
package has none at all. I think it would have been nice to have some
warning this would happen and possibly at least some example scripts
or suggestions on how to rotate the files.

Personally I solved the problem by moving back to sysklogd.

Stephen Quinney