Re: apt command to turn debian entries into urls

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 05:48:25PM -0800, Edward S. Peschko wrote:
> I would like to get
>
> Inst libdb1-compat (2.1.3-7 Debian:unstable) []
>
> 	ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/.../libdb1-compat.tar.gz
>
> Inst libc6 (2.3.2.ds1-11 Debian:unstable)
>
> 	ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/.../libc6.tar.gz
>

> or somesuch instead.. I suppose I could parse out the package names and
> translate them to urls by looking in Sources.gz, and Packages.gz, but that
> seems to be one hell of a clunky error prone thing to do.

I could have sworn that using the --no-act would give you the URLs of things
that will be downloaded, but a quick test of that has shown it to be
incorrect.  If you're feeling adventurous, you could try to get a patch to
list downloads (ether as part of --no-act or a separate option) into apt.
Seems like it might be a useful thing on occasion.

Alternately, I think you could probably put together some script involving
grep-available and such to work out where things can be downloaded from, but
that would probably get a bit ugly.

- Matt