Re: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 09:31:15AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 12:45:12PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > What about them?  C doesn't really have (a), and doesn't have exceptions
> > either.
>
> Tell that to dpkg.

I don't think that dpkg and I have anything to say to each other.  "foo can
be implemented in language X in various ways" is not the same as "language X
has a standard, built-in capacity for foo".

> > C++ has both, and also has exceptions.
>
> C++ does not have an undef value. Where's your undefined integer?

Where's Perl's undefined list?  Undefined hash?  Any data type besides a
scalar?

It exists for object references in both cases, which is where it's actually
useful.

> Nor does it have accessible multi-valued returns - you have to define an
> entire class to do it.

The word "accessible" has creeped into your critique since your earlier
claim.

And no, you don't have to define an entire class in order to do it.

--
 - mdz