RE: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

Andrew Suffield wrote:
> C++ does not have an undef value. Where's your undefined integer? Nor
> does it have accessible multi-valued returns - you have to define an
> entire class to do it.

"an entire class" -- Yeah, so what?  It can be as simple as:

  class Int {
    public:
      int x;
      Int(): x(0) {};
      Int(int new_x): x(new_x) {};
  };

  Int* value;
  value = 0;           // undef
  value = new Int(0);  // 0

(I'm sure you knew that already.)  It's not a significant problem.  A class is not an enormous monstrosity with regard to memory consumption or code required for handling them.  In such simple cases, there isn't even a need for RTTI, which makes the compiled code nearly as efficient as using built-in ints.

And, how do you think does Perl handle *internally* scalar values which may be undef?  Until every word of memory has its own "is_null" bit (similar to what most databases do), there won't be another way, and C++ handles it not too bad.

> It makes it harder to avoid using exceptions.

Why?