Re: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

    Nathanael> Zenaan Harkness wrote:
    >>> To fill in the blanks in my ignorant mind, which language(s) out
    >>> there have not had versioning problems?
    >>
    Nathanael> to which Andrew Suffield wrote:

    Nathanael> Are you referring to K&R C, C89, or C99?  :-)

    Nathanael> Actually, Bourne shell has had no versioning problems.
    Nathanael> Writing in portable Bourne shell is sometimes an adventure in
    Nathanael> obscurity, however (the absence of subroutines particularly
    Nathanael> hurts), so I can't really recommend it.

Wrong.  There are many different versions of sh, they behave differently,
and imcompatibly.

My choice for a programming language without versioning problem is "TeX",
which is freezed a really long time ago.  Of course, it won't be the
language that you'd want for anything other than typesetting, and even for
those tasks you'll think many many times before you'll use TeX directly
sidestepping even Plain TeX.

Regards,
Isaac.